How long can you take out voluntary insurance for?
In general, you can take out voluntary insurance for up to 10 years. This is also true for your partner and children. However, there are exceptions. In some cases, the insurance period could be longer or shorter. Here, you can read about the exceptions and the conditions.
You can take out voluntary insurance for more than 10 years if:
- you are 50 or over at the start of the voluntary insurance, and
- you are living outside the Netherlands, and
- you receive a Dutch statutory benefit of 35% or more of the gross Dutch minimum wage
You can also take out voluntary insurance for a longer period if you work for:
- the Dutch government or a Dutch organisation which carries out government tasks
- a development organisation which has been recognised by the Dutch government, such as War Child Netherlands or Oxfam Novib
- an international organisation such as the United Nations or NATO
- the Dutch government as an independent worker, and the government pays for your work
The voluntary insurance may stop before the end of the 10 years. For example, because you have reached your AOW pension age, or because you have returned to the Netherlands.