What is an A1 certificate?

An A1 certificate (certificate of coverage) shows that your employee will stay insured in the Netherlands if they are going to work outside the Netherlands temporarily.

It is important that your employee has an A1 certificate. Without it, they will probably not be able to work in the other country.

You can only apply for an A1/certificate of coverage if your employee is going to work temporarily in a country of EUEEA or in a treaty country.

You should apply for the certificate before your employee starts working in the other country. This will save you from administrative problems later.

An A1 certificate will stop being valid if:

  • your employee starts working in the Netherlands again 
  • the company in the other country (to which your employee was posted) sends the employee to work in a different company