What is an A1/certificate of coverage?

If you are going to work outside the Netherlands temporarily, you can still be covered by the social insurance schemes of the Netherlands. An A1/certificate of coverage is proof of this.

You can only get this certificate if you are going to work in a country of the EU (European Union), the EEA (European Economic Area) or in a  treaty country. An A1/certificate of coverage will only be issued once. It is therefore important to keep it.