What is international posting?

If an employer sends an employee to work temporarily outside the Netherlands, this is called ‘international posting’. Self-employed persons can also be ‘posted’. 

The employee needs an A1 certificate / certificate of coverage. This certificate is proof that they are still insured in the Netherlands.

No. You can only be posted to a country in the EU (European Union), EEA (European Economic Area) or a country with which the Netherlands has a social security agreement.

No. If you (or your employee) go to work outside the Netherlands for an indefinite period, it means that there is no fixed agreement on how long the work will last. In that case, your (or your employee’s) insurance in the Netherlands will stop. Instead, you will be insured in the country where you work. 

N.B. This does not apply to civil servants working in another country for the Dutch government.

How to apply for an A1 certificate depends on your situation. If you are working for an employer, you can only apply for an A1 certificate yourself if you work in 2 or more countries of the EU (European Union). Otherwise, your employer must send us the application for you. If you are an employer or self-employed, you can apply for an A1 certificate to us, the SVB. You do not have to pay anything to get an A1 certificate.

No, but in most cases this is not necessary. The inspectorates in most countries will also accept a copy of your application, so you do not have to wait until you have received the actual certificate. 

If a copy of the certificate is not accepted, get in touch with us. If possible, we will fast-track your application.