The changes you need to report if you live in the Netherlands

You must report the following changes to us within 4 weeks:

  • You no longer live at the same address as your partner
  • You and your partner have been living together but you are not married. You are now going to separate
  • You have been living on your own and are now going to start living with someone
  • Someone has come to live with you and your partner
  • You are staying at another address temporarily
  • You and your partner separate
  • You and your partner are separated and your partner starts living with you again
  • You are separated from your partner and you start living with someone else
  • You and your partner are permanently separated because although one of you filed for divorce, the divorce did not go through.
  • You take in a lodger or a tenant

  • You enter into a cohabitation agreement
  • You get married or enter into a registered partnership outside the Netherlands
  • You get divorced outside the Netherlands
  • You separate from your spouse or partner

  • You are moving to another country
  • You and your partner are moving to another country
  • Either you or your partner is moving to another country while the other will continue to live in the Netherlands

If you receive AOW supplementary allowance, the amount you receive will depend on your and your partner’s income.

Income from wages or benefits

If you receive income from wages or benefits in the Netherlands, we will get these details from the UWV. However, if this income goes up, it is best if you report the change to us yourself (except for slight yearly or twice-yearly increases). This is important because the details we get from the UWV are at least 2 months old. If you report changes yourself, you can avoid a situation where you receive too much AOW supplementary allowance and then have to pay it back.

If you or your partner receives payments from a personal care budget (PGB) because you or your partner supervises or cares for someone, this is also regarded as income.

You must report the following changes:

  • Your partner’s income goes up or down
  • Your partner has a new source of income
  • Your partner no longer has income
  • Your and your partner’s joint income drops below €3,018.06 gross per month
  • Your and your partner’s joint income was less than €3,018.06 gross per month but has gone up to more than that amount

Income from business activities or income from outside the Netherlands

If you or your partner receive income from your own business or self-employed activities or from a country other than the Netherlands, you must report any changes in that income yourselves.

  • You go to prison, a detention centre or a closed treatment facility
  • You are ordered to go to prison, a detention centre or a closed treatment facility, but you refuse to go

If an AOW pensioner who is resident in the Netherlands dies outside the Netherlands, the death should be reported directly to us within 4 weeks. 

The sooner we know, the sooner we can prevent any overpayments. We will then send a letter to the deceased’s heirs to inform them about what happens next.

  1. Report changes within 4 weeks

Changes reported to us by your municipality (gemeente)

We will be informed of the following changes by your municipality. (You do not have to report them to us yourself.) It is important that you report these changes to your municipality (gemeente) on time.

  • You and, if applicable, your partner move to another address in the Netherlands
  • You get married in the Netherlands
  • You enter into a registered partnership in the Netherlands
  • You get divorced in the Netherlands
  • Someone gets a new nationality
  • Someone dies in the Netherlands