What is deducted from your AOW pension if you live outside the Netherlands?

If you live outside the Netherlands and you receive your AOW pension there, tax and health insurance contributions may be deducted from your AOW pension. 

The exact amount deducted from your AOW pension will depend on your circumstances and the country where you live. 

Read more about tax, health insurance contributions and healthcare services. And where to go for additional information.

The Netherlands has made agreements with many countries concerning tax payments. The agreements are laid down in tax treaties. It depends on the tax treaty whether or not we deduct tax from your AOW pension. If we do not make these deductions from your AOW pension, you will have to pay tax on your AOW pension in the country where you live.

The CAK decides whether you have to pay health care treaty contributions (‘verdragsbijdrage’). If so, we will deduct a ‘Zvw health insurance contribution for non-residents’ from your AOW pension.

The Zvw health insurance contribution for non-residents may consist of up to three components:

  1. a contribution under the Dutch Health Insurance Act (Zvw)
  2. a contribution under the Long-term Care Act (Wlz)
  3. a fixed contribution. The amount of this contribution differs per country, depending on the average cost of healthcare in the country where you live.

If you live in a country that is a member of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), or in Switzerland, you may be able to get your medical care in that country paid by the Netherlands.

You can find more information about your health insurance outside the Netherlands on the website ‘netherlandsworldwide.nl’.