If your child is going to live outside the Netherlands

If your child starts living outside the Netherlands, you may still be able to keep your child benefit. This will depend on the country where your child goes to live. 

For some countries, the amount of Dutch child benefit is adjusted to the price level of the country concerned. This means you will no longer get the full child benefit amount. The percentage you can get is determined by law and depends on the country where your child lives.

You can get Dutch child benefit only if you live in a country of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or in Switzerland. Or in a country that has a social security agreement with the Netherlands (treaty country). 

If you want to know whether you can get child benefit, fill in the country where your child is going to live. You will then see if we can pay child benefit, and if so, how much you can get.

Dutch child benefit payments to the following countries are made in the currency of the country concerned (not in euros): 

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • United Kingdom
  • Morocco
  • New Zealand
  • United States of America
  • South Africa

Child benefit payments are sent at 2 different times: 

  • at the beginning of the month 
  • halfway through the month

Exchange rates can vary. The net amount you receive may not always be exactly the same. See what the exchange rate is for you. If the country where you live is not shown in the list, you will receive your payments in euros.