Your health insurance

If you remigrate to the country where you were born, your health insurance will change. In some situations, your medical costs will still be paid by the Netherlands.

If your medical costs are not paid by the Netherlands, you must take out your own health insurance in the country where you live. We will give you an allowance to cover part of the cost.

The Netherlands will pay your medical costs if:

  • you get a remigration benefit, plus
  • another Dutch benefit, for example, a benefit under the Work and Income According to Labour Capacity Act (WIA) or the National Survivor Benefits Act (Anw), or an AOW old-age pension, and
  • you live in a country of the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA), or in a treaty country, and
  • you do not work or receive a pension from that country and do not have health insurance in that country

Dutch health insurance contribution (Zvw contribution)

The CAK checks whether you are still insured under the Dutch health insurance scheme (Zvw scheme) after you remigrate. If so, a health insurance contribution (Zvw contribution) is deducted from your remigration benefit.

Healthcare benefit

You may qualify for a healthcare benefit from Dienst Toeslagen. For more information, go to the website of Dienst Toeslagen (only in Dutch).

If your medical expenses are not reimbursed by the Netherlands in the country you move to, we will pay you an allowance and you can take out health insurance in your new country. We will pay the allowance together with your remigration benefit. How much you will get depends on the country you move to.