A change in your child’s situation

If there is a change in your child’s situation, first check whether it is necessary to report the change to us. 

If you need to report the change, you must do so within 4 weeks (6 weeks if you live outside the Netherlands).

Changes you do not need to report to us

If you live in the Netherlands, your municipality (gemeente) will inform us of the following changes. (It is important that you report these changes to your municipality on time.)

  • Your child and the rest of the family move to a new address within the Netherlands
  • You have a new child
  • You adopt a child
  • Your child’s nationality changes
  • Your child who was living in the Netherlands has died in the Netherlands

Changes you do need to report to us

  • Your child starts living away from home 
  • Your child has been taken into care 
  • Your child is sent to prison or a detention centre.
  • Your child starts living at home with you again

If your child lives away from home

If your child is living away from home you must always report a change in their education if:

  • Your child is going to do a vocational course at another location
  • Your child is going to receive special education at a ‘DAMU’ school (specialising in dance and music) or a ‘LOOT’ school (specialising in top-level sport) at another location.

If your child is aged 16 or 17

If your child is 16 or 17, you only need to inform us of changes in their education if they go to a private school or a school or institution outside the Netherlands.

  • Your child stops going to school
  • Your child is going to a new school
  • Your child stops going to school temporarily (for less than 6 months)
  • Your child has had to stop their education because of illness or disability
  • Your child had to stop their education for a while because of illness or disability, but they are now ready to start again

  • You start receiving a fostering allowance for your child 
  • You start receiving another benefit or allowance for looking after your child 
  • There is a change in another allowance or benefit that you receive for looking after a child

Your child who was living outside the Netherlands has died. Send us a copy of the death certificate.death certificate