Child benefit at twice the basic rate for a child living at home who needs extensive care

If you have a child living at home who needs extensive care, you can get child benefit at twice the basic rate providing your child is aged 3 or older, and under 18. The SVB does not have the expertise to assess a child’s care needs. Instead, we ask the Care Needs Assessment Centre ( CIZ) to make this assessment and give us their opinion. 

  1. Step 1: You submit the claim to us

  2. Step 2: We ask the CIZ to carry out an assessment

    The CIZ will proceed to assess your child’s care needs

  3. Step 3: You fill in the CIZ’s information form

    The CIZ will ask you to fill in a form with questions about your child. They will also ask you to send them documents concerning your child’s care needs.

  4. Step 4: The CIZ carries out the assessment.

    The CIZ will look at your child’s situation.

  5. Step 5: You receive a letter from the CIZ

    The letter will inform you of the CIZ’s opinion.

  6. Step 6: The CIZ sends their opinion to the SVB online

  7. Step 7: We decide whether or not you will receive child benefit at twice the basic rate.

    You will receive our decision within 8 weeks of the date of your application. If the CIZ needs more time to issue an opinion, we will let you know in writing.

The CIZ will ask you for information and documents regarding your child’s care needs. They may also need extra information from doctors or specialists, but they will need your permission for this. The CIZ will send you a form to give them your permission to use that information. They will take this information into account for their opinion of your child’s care needs.

The CIZ divides the possible care needs into 10 sections and gives points for each section. Based on the total number of points, the CIZ gives a positive or a negative opinion. You can get child benefit at twice the basic rate if the opinion is positive, but not if it is negative.

At the CIZ’s website, you can download the assessment framework (‘Beoordelingskader’ - only in Dutch) which explains how your child’s care needs are assessed.

If you have received child benefit at twice the basic rate for a full year because of your child’s extensive care needs, you may be able to get an extra yearly payment.

See whether it would be worthwhile to submit a claim

If your child needs a lot of care and you want to know whether you may be eligible for child benefit at twice the basic rate, fill in the questions below.

Please wait while information is being loaded