Review and appeal

If you disagree with a decision we have taken, please call us on the telephone number in the decision letter. We can then explain our decision to you and answer any questions you have. If you still disagree after speaking to us, you can send us a letter stating your objections. You must send your letter within 6 weeks of the date of the decision. This letter is called a ‘request for review’.

In your request for review, you must always give the following details:

  • your name and address
  • Your Burgerservicenummer (BSN) or your SVB reference number (you will find this number in the letter we sent you)
  • your telephone number
  • the date of your letter
  • the decision you are objecting to
  • your reasons for not agreeing with the decision
  • the decision you think the SVB should take
  • your signature

Send your letter to the SVB office that took the decision. Write the word ‘bezwaarschrift’ (request for review) in the top left-hand corner of the envelope. Enclose any relevant documents. If you would like another person to send a request for review on your behalf, enclose an authorisation. An authorisation is a declaration that someone else will handle your affairs with the SVB for you. You will still be responsible, however, for any actions or omissions on the part of your representative.

If you wish, you may discuss your objections during a hearing. In that case, please contact us.

We can only reimburse you for costs relating to your request for review if we have made an error AND we must take a new decision. This could be the cost of professional legal help or advice, extracts from public registers, and travel expenses. If you wish to be reimbursed for costs, you should make this clear in your request for review or during the review procedure.

If you disagree with our decision on your request for review, you can lodge an appeal with the court. You can read how to do this in our decision letter.