The Long-term Care Act (Wlz)

You have received a letter from the CAK

Why have you received a letter stating that you do not have health insurance? 

The CAK is a government organisation that checks whether people who are subject to insurance under the Dutch Health Insurance Act have taken out Dutch basic health insurance as required. People who are registered as living in the Netherlands and who do not have Dutch basic health insurance may receive a letter from the CAK.

If you already have health insurance with a Dutch or non-Dutch health insurance company, or if you have any questions about the fine from the CAK, visit the website of the CAK to find out what you should do, or contact them.

Why has the CAK referred you to us?

Everyone who is insured under the Wlz scheme is also automatically insured under the Health Insurance Act, which means that they are required by law to take out Dutch basic health insurance.

It is our task to establish whether you are subject to compulsory insurance under the Wlz scheme. If, after checking our website, you believe that you should not be subject to insurance under the Wlz scheme but you have received a letter from the CAK stating otherwise, you should apply to us for an assessment of your insurance position under the Wlz scheme.

Important information about your application

  • Enclose relevant documentary evidence with your application, for example, a posting certificate, documents about your activities as an au pair or intern, or documents showing since what date you have been working outside the Netherlands.
  • If you need a statement for a particular period, you need to specify this on your application.

If you have received a decision from us about your insurance position under the Wlz scheme, send a copy of the decision to the CAK.