Voluntary insurance

What do we mean by income?

The amount of the backdated AOW contributions you would have to pay depends on your income.

Your income

By income we mean:

  • wages or salary
  • income from work other than paid employment
  • income from own enterprise
  • benefits, such as an Anw survivor benefit, WAO incapacity benefit or early retirement benefit
  • notional income for home ownership: this is a percentage of the value of your house, if you are the owner. (Mortgage interest will be deducted from this amount.)

What can you deduct?

You can deduct the following items from your income:

  • social insurance contributions deducted from your wages
  • annuity premiums
  • contributions for insurance against illness, incapacity for work or accidents
  • donations to churches or charities
  • alimony paid to your ex-partner
  • a number of specific medical expenses

These costs can only be deducted up to a certain maximum. The same rules apply as for your tax return.