How is your AOW pension calculated
The amount of your AOW pension depends on:
- the number of years you have been insured under the AOW scheme, and
- whether you live on your own or with someone else
We will pay your AOW pension with effect from the date on which you reach your AOW pension age.
In most cases, you will automatically be insured under the AOW scheme.
As a rule, people who live or work in the Netherlands are insured under the AOW scheme automatically, regardless of nationality. For every year that you are insured, you build up rights to 2% of the full AOW pension. If you have been insured for the full 50 years preceding your AOW pension age, you will get a full AOW pension.
If you have lived or worked outside the Netherlands, you may have been uninsured during certain periods, and you may get a lower pension as a result. Also, a small number of people who do live in the Netherlands are not insured under the AOW scheme.
If you were born on or after 1 April 1950, you will not get an AOW pension if you were insured for less than 1 year.
Requesting an SVB Pension Statement
If you would like to know how much AOW pension you have built up, you can request an SVB Pension Statement via My SVB.
If you do not have a DigiD code, you can request a Pension Statement using the AOW Pension Statement form (AOW Insurance Periods).
Do you live alone or with someone else?
The type of AOW pension you will get depends on your domestic situation. By domestic situation, we mean whether you live alone or with someone else.
- People who live on their own are entitled to an AOW pension based on 70% of the net minimum wage.
- People who are married or living with someone are entitled to a pension based on 50% of the net minimum wage.
- If you have a partner who has also reached the AOW pension age, you will together receive up to 100% of the net minimum wage.
- If you have a partner who has not yet reached the AOW pension age, you may be able to receive a supplementary allowance on top of your AOW pension. The supplementary allowance will be discontinued in 2015.
Can you receive an AOW pension if you live outside the Netherlands?
Depending on the country where you live, you may not be able to receive your full AOW pension. This depends on whether the Netherlands and your country have made agreements on the verification of pension entitlements.