About the SVB

Schemes and legislation

  • social insurance schemes and legislation by order of the State Secretary for Social Affairs and Employment
  • non-social insurance schemes and legislation by order of other authorities

To an increasing extent, the SVB also carries out tasks for municipal authorities. For instance, administration of the personal budget under the Social Support Act (Wmo), and income support under the Work and Social Assistance Act for over-65s (AIO supplement.) The SVB has been paying out the AIO supplement for all municipal authorities since 2010. Below is an overview of schemes and legislation currently implemented by the SVB.

Old age pension (AOW pension)

The AOW pension is a basic state pension for people who have reached their AOW pension age. If you live or work in the Netherlands, you will almost certainly be insured under the AOW scheme. AOW pension and the related supplementary allowance for younger partners are paid by the SVB. You can build up rights to an AOW pension in the 50-year period preceding the date on which you reach your AOW pension age. Each year that you are insured entitles you to 2% of the full AOW pension. As a rule, you will not be insured if you live or work outside the Netherlands.

In that case, you can opt to take out voluntary insurance. If you came to the Netherlands after the age of 15, you can pay contributions retrospectively for the years from your 15th birthday. If you live with someone, and one of you has not yet reached the AOW pension age and has little or no income, a supplementary allowance may be payable on top of the older partner's AOW pension. NB: the supplementary allowance is going to be discontinued and will not be available for people who reach their AOW pension age in or after 2015. The amount of the AOW pension depends on your situation. That is, whether you live with a partner, or are a single person without children, or a single person with children.

Back to top

Dutch survivor benefit (Anw)

The benefits paid under the National Survivor Benefits Act (Anw) are financial support from the government for people whose partner has died, and for orphaned children. These benefits are paid by the SVB. For the purpose of Anw benefits, no distinction is made between people who are married, in a registered partnership, or simply living together. Even if you were divorced from your late partner, a survivor benefit may be payable. The amount of the Anw benefit will depend on your income and whether you have a child under 18 living at home with you.

Back to top

Dutch child benefit

Child benefit is money from the government towards the costs of raising a child. It is paid by the SVB. If you live or work in the Netherlands and have children under 18, you will get Dutch child benefit.

The amount of the child benefit depends on the child's age, and may also be affected if the child earns money.

Back to top

TAS: compensation scheme for asbestos victims

The TAS scheme is for people who suffer from malignant mesothelioma caused by working with asbestos. The scheme is implemented by the SVB.

The SVB implements the scheme in cooperation with the Dutch Institute for Asbestos Victims (IAS). The IAS assists asbestos victims and their survivors with applying for an advance payment, advises the SVB regarding the compensation to be paid, and investigates whether the former employer will have to pay damages.

Back to top

FVP Supplementary Pension Insurance Foundation: contributions system and fund management

The objective of the Supplementary Pension Insurance Foundation (FVP) is to ensure that people who become unemployed continue to accrue pension rights.

If you become unemployed and you stop building up pension rights as a result, this will affect the pension you receive when you retire. With the FVP contribution, you will continue to accrue pension rights. The SVB is responsible for fund management for the FVP foundation and also administers the contributions system.

The FVP contributions system will continue up to 1 January 2011. This means that employees who become unemployed in 2010 may, if they meet the conditions, qualify for an FVP contribution. Employees who become entitled to a WW unemployment benefit on or after 1 January 2011 will not qualify for a contribution under the FVP scheme.

Back to top

PGB Services (Dienstverlening PGB)

If you need care because of illness, disability or old age, you may qualify for a personal care budget (PGB). You can then choose the care provider you prefer and decide yourself when and how to receive care. If you receive a care budget onder the Long-term Care Act (Wlz), the Social Support Act (Wmo) or the Youth Act (Jeugdwet), PGB Services will manage your budget. The budget will be in our account, but you stay in control. This arrangement is referred to as ‘trekkingsrecht’.

The SVB also offers other services to budget holders. For example, if you have to withhold tax and social insurance contributions from your care provider's pay, we can take care of your payroll tasks. You can also join our collective insurance schemes covering damage and legal assistance costs. In some cases, we can reimburse you for the sick pay you have to pay if your care provider falls ill. You can also use these services if you receive a personal budget under the Health Insurance Act (Zvw). 

In total, some 155.000 Dutch citizens are using the services provided by PGB Services.

Back to top

Complementary award for informal carers

The Dutch government greatly appreciates the work done by informal carers. As a token of its appreciation, informal carers may receive a complementary award in the form of a payment which is made once a year (the 'mantelzorgcompliment'). In 2008, the amount of the complementary award was 250 euros.

You can qualify for the complementary award if you care intensively for a friend, relative or acquaintance over a long period of time, providing care that would otherwise have to be provided by professional carers. Either the carer or the person receiving care can apply to the SVB for the complementary award.

Back to top

Remigration Act (REM)

The Remigration Act provides financial support for people who want to return to live in another country. The Remigration Act is implemented by the SVB.

The remigration benefit paid under the Remigration Act can help people such as former migrant workers or recognized political refugees to return to their country of origin. The amount of the benefit depends on the cost of living in the country of remigration. If you receive the remigration benefit at the same time as an AOW old age pension, for example, no remigration benefit will be payable if the amount of the pension is higher. The benefit is then referred to as a "nil" benefit.

The total number of people entitled to a remigration benefit has increased in recent years, but the increase is mostly attributable to people with a "nil" benefit. The number of claimants who actually receive a remigration benefit is fairly stable. While more than half of all remigrants are from Turkey or Morocco, the number of claimants from former Yugoslavia and Surinam has increased over the years.

Back to top

Income support for people who have reached the AOW pension age (AIO supplement)

If you have reached the AOW pension age and you do not receive a full AOW pension and have little other income, your income will probably be under the guaranteed minimum income. In that case, you can apply for income support (AIO supplement) under the Work and Social Assistance Act (WWB). Ask the SVB for information about the AIO supplement.

We inform people with a partial AOW pension about the possibility of claiming income support (AIO supplement). The SVB has been responsible for payment of the AIO supplement to pensioners on behalf of all municipalities since 2010.

Back to top

Bureau for Belgian Affairs and Bureau for German Affairs

The Bureaus for Belgian and German Affairs are there to advise and inform people who live in Belgium or Germany and work in the Netherlands, or who live in the Netherlands and work in Belgium or Germany. Living or working across the border could affect your social insurance position and the pension you will receive.

The Bureaus aim to serve benefit recipients, employers' organizations and unions, individual employers and employees, and the self-employed. Apart from providing advice and information, they offer mediation services and assistance with administrative matters.

The Bureaus are working together more and more due to frequent changes in legislation and the type of information required as well as the increasing incidence of migration. For instance, the Bureaus hold joint consultation sessions.

Back to top

Objecting to insurance on principle

Some people do not wish to be covered by national insurance schemes on principle. The SVB holds and maintains the records for these people.

People who do not wish to be insured under one or more social or industrial insurance schemes can apply to the SVB for exemption. Instead of contributions, they will pay the same amount in wage tax. This concerns a total of around 11,000 people.

Back to top

Client management for recognized members of the resistance and victims of war

On 1 January 2011, the SVB took over the client management tasks from the Pension and Benefit Board (PUR) for recognized members of the resistance and victims of war. At the SVB, the Department for Members of the Resistance and Victims of War (V&O) now takes care of client management for:

  • five different pension and benefit schemes and
  • a psychotherapy reimbursement scheme to support those affected by the Second World War

Political responsibility lies with the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sports.

Back to top

Pensions register

The SVB has been responsible for managing the web portal mijnpensioenoverzicht.nl since 1 February 2011. This web portal was the initiative of the foundation Stichting Pensioenregister, a partnership between all pension funds/insurers and the SVB. The result is a clear, well set out website with links to all pension administrations and the AOW. Those with a DigiD code can see how much AOW pension and company pension they have accrued. The SVB is responsible for the technical aspects of the portal, the service desk mijnpensioenoverzicht.nl (including the tasks carried out by the former Helpdesk Vergeten Pensioenen) and external communications.

Back to top

Wlz Verzekerdenregistratie

De SVB voert een Wlz verzekerdenregistratie uit om inzicht te krijgen in de groep mensen die zich niet hebben verzekerd voor ziektekosten. De opsporing van naar schatting 136.000 mensen zonder wettelijke zorgverzekering is in 2011 gestart.

Back to top

Child-related Budget Act (WKB) / Childcare Act (Wko)

Child benefit claimants whose income is below a certain level may also qualify for a child budget. The child budget scheme is implemented by the Dutch Tax Administration, and they decide how much is payable, depending on the income and the number of children. The SVB provides the Tax Administration with information about child benefit claimants.

In the case of families with one parent living or working outside the Netherlands, there may be an overlap with similar non-Dutch benefits. As the Dutch family benefits agency, the SVB will determine the entitlement to Dutch family benefits and also pay the benefits. In addition, we inform claimants about other benefits they may qualify for under Dutch legislation.

Back to top

"Regeling Bijstand Buitenland", a social assistance scheme for Dutch nationals living outside the Netherlands

At the request of the state secretary of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment, the SVB took over the implementation of the ''Regeling Bijstand Buitenland'' from the SZW Agency with effect from 1 January 2009. This scheme, which has no longer accepted claims since 1996, provides a social assistance benefit to Dutch nationals abroad who do not have sufficient income. The SVB pays this benefit to a decreasing number of claimants (253 at the end of 2010), living in 25 different countries.

Back to top