Child benefit

If you and your partner separate or get divorced

If you and your partner separate or get divorced, we will pay child benefit to the parent with whom the child lives. Even if you pay maintenance for a child who lives with your former partner, the child benefit will be paid to your former partner.

If your child lives with both parents in turn

If a child lives with you and your former partner in turn (we refer to this as co-parenting), we can divide the child benefit between you and your former partner.

To determine the amount of child benefit that is paid to each parent, we look at:

  • the court ruling, or
  • the parenting plan, or
  • a written agreement between the parents that states how the child benefit is to be divided.

If you receive child budget, co-parenting will have consequences for your child budget.