Child benefit

Review and appeal

Problems can often be solved quickly

If you disagree with a decision we have taken, you should call us first. We will then try to answer any questions you may have or provide further clarification of the decision. If you still disagree after hearing our explanation, you can send us a letter to request a review. If you wish to request a review, you must do so within six weeks of the date of the decision.

How to submit a request for review

Your request for review must contain at least the following details:

  • your name and address
  • your Burgerservicenummer (BSN) or your registration number (you will find this number in the letter we sent you)
  • your telephone number
  • the date of your request for review
  • the decision you are objecting to
  • your reasons for not agreeing with the decision
  • the decision you think the SVB should take
  • your signature

Send your letter and any relevant documents to the SVB office that took the decision. Write the word 'bezwaarschrift' in the top left-hand corner of the envelope. If you appoint someone else to write the leter on your behalf, you need to enclose an authorisation.

Explaining your objections at a hearing

If you wish to attend a hearing to explain your request for review in person, please call us. We will then set a date and time for a hearing. A hearing can also be conducted over the telephone. If you wish, someone else can speak on your behalf. If you wish to view your file before the hearing, you should let us know. In some cases, a hearing may not be necessary or possible. If so, we will explain why.

Compensation for expenses if we have made an error

We can only reimburse you for expenses incurred in relation to a request for review if we have made an error and must take a new decision. Reimbursable expenses include, for example, costs of professional legal assistance, extracts from public registers, and travel expenses. If you wish to claim reimbursement for expenses, you should make this clear in your request for review or during the review procedure.

Lodging an appeal

If you disagree with the decision on your request for review, you can lodge an appeal with the court.