Child benefit

How much is your child allowed to earn?

If your child aged 16 or 17 earns money with a job or traineeship, his or her earnings could affect your child benefit. Your child is allowed to earn up to a certain maximum amount. If your child earns more than the maximum amount in a particular quarter, you will not be entitled to child benefit for that quarter. The maximum amount is adjusted every year in October. If your child is under 16, it does not matter how much he or she earns. Your child benefit will not be affected.

  • How much is a child aged 16 or 17 allowed to earn?

    Your child is allowed to earn up to €1,265 net per quarter, regardless of whether he or she lives at home with you or away from home. If your child earns €1,265 net or more, child benefit will not be payable for that quarter. If you receive child budget, that will also stop.

    If your child earns more than €1,265 net per quarter, you must report this to the SVB. When your child turns 18, the child benefit will stop. However, you will receive child benefit up to the end of the quarter in which your child turns 18. We therefore take your child's income for the entire quarter into account.

  • Earning extra during the summer holidays

    During the summer holidays, children sometimes take a holiday job or work more hours than during the rest of the year. During the summer holidays, your child is allowed to earn €1,299 net on top of the normal maximum amount (i.e. €1,265 + €1,299). The summer holidays is the period between two school years.

    Holiday work for the same employer

    If your child has a job throughout the year and does some extra work for the same employer during the summer holidays, the extra work will be regarded as holiday work. If your child is doing a traineeship and does extra work during the holidays, the extra work can also be treated as holiday work, provided the traineeship agreement states that it is not obligatory to work during the holidays.

  • Tell us if your child's income exceeds the maximum amount

    Your child may earn more in some quarters than others due to overtime, a tax refund or an end-of-year bonus, for instance. As result, your child may unexpectedly earn more than the maximum allowed amount of €1,265, and you may have to repay child benefit that you have received.
    To prevent this from happening, let us know as soon as possible if you think your child will be earning more than the maximum amount allowed in a particular quarter.

    If your child earns less than the maximum amount allowed, you do not have to report this to us.

  • Op welk moment geeft u een verandering in een wisselend inkomen of in een vast inkomen aan ons door

    Een verandering in inkomsten geeft u binnen 4 weken aan ons door. Woont u of uw kind buiten Nederland? Dan geeft u dit binnen 6 weken aan ons door. Op welk moment de periode van 4 of 6 weken ingaat, hangt af of uw kind een wisselend of een vast inkomen heeft.

    Uw kind heeft een wisselend inkomen

    U heeft 4 (of 6) weken de tijd om de wijziging door te geven vanaf:

    • de laatste dag van de betaalperiode waarin het inkomen van uw kind hoger is geworden dan €1,265 netto per kwartaal. Een betaalperiode kan een week, 4 weken of een maand zijn.

    Karel heeft een maandsalaris. Hij krijgt iedere maand een ander bedrag want hij werkt wisselende uren. In januari heeft hij € 600 netto verdiend, in februari € 700 netto en in maart € 300 netto. Met zijn salaris van februari heeft hij in het eerste kwartaal meer dan € 1,265 in dit kwartaal verdiend. Dat betekent dat de meldingstermijn begint op 28 februari, want vanaf februari is zijn inkomen in dat kwartaal hoger dan € 1,265 netto per kwartaal. Vanaf 28 februari heeft u 4 weken de tijd om de wijziging door te geven.

    Uw kind heeft een vast inkomen

    U heeft 4 (of 6) weken de tijd om de wijziging door te geven:

    • vanaf de laatste dag van de betaalperiode waarin het inkomen van uw kind hoger is geworden dan €1,265 netto per kwartaal, en
    • het inkomen vanaf de veranderingen van het inkomen voor het eerst boven € 1,265 netto per kwartaal gaat komen.

    Karolien verdient een vast bedrag van € 400 netto per 4 weken. Vanaf maart krijgt ze loonsverhoging. Ze gaat vanaf maart € 425 netto per 4 weken verdienen. Voor het eerste kwartaal is dit nog niet van belang. In het eerste kwartaal is het inkomen minder dan € 1,265. De meldingstermijn begint pas op 19 juni. Want dat is de laatste dag van de periode van 4 weken waarin haar inkomen is veranderd. Het is dan duidelijk dat zij in dat kwartaal meer dan € 1,265 netto per kwartaal heeft verdiend. Vanaf 19 juni heeft u 4 (of 6) weken de tijd om de wijziging door te geven.

  • What do we mean by 'income'?

    Income received by your child may affect your entitlement to child benefit. It is therefore important to know what is considered as income for child benefit purposes.

    We take the following income into account

    • wages or salary
    • income from own enterprise
    • provisions from an employer, such as board and lodging
    • payment for practical training programmes
    • money reimbursed by an employer for e.g. travelling expenses, clothing, safety goggles
    • tax refunds
    • unemployment benefit or sickness benefit

    Income that is not taken into account

    • pocket money
    • interest from a savings account
    • holiday pay