International secondment

You are self-employed

If you start working as a self-employed person outside the Netherlands on a permanent basis, you will cease to be covered by the Dutch social insurance schemes such as AOW old age pension, child benefit and Anw survivor benefit. Instead, you will be insured in the country where you work.

If you start working outside the Netherlands temporarily, however, you can continue to be insured in the Netherlands provided you meet the conditions. We refer to this as "secondment".

Maximum period of secondment

If you will be working in a country of the EU (European Union) or EEA (European Economic Area), you can normally be seconded for up to 24 months. Extension of this period to a maximum of 5 years will only be possible if you have permission from the competent institution in the country where you are working.

If you will be working in a country outside the EU or the EEA, you should bear in mind that maximum secondment periods vary between countries.