International secondment

Your employer transports persons or goods within Europe

You work for a Netherlands-based company that transports persons or goods to countries of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA).

If you work outside the Netherlands, you will normally stay insured under the Dutch social insurance schemes for e.g. AOW old age pension, child benefit, unemployment benefit and incapacity benefit. This will be the case if:

  • you live in the Netherlands
  • you live in another EU country and you work for less than 25 percent of your working hours in that country

Your employer deducts social insurance contributions from your wages or salary and pays them to the Dutch Tax Administration.

If you transport persons or goods yourself

In this case, you will only be covered under social insurance if you work as a:

  • coach driver
  • Taxi driver
  • lorry driver
  • train driver or conductor
  • boatmaster or sailor   

Exception: if you work for at least 25 percent in the country where you live

If you live in an EU country other than the Netherlands and you work for more than 25 percent of your working hours in that country, you will be covered under social insurance in that country. Your employer must then pay social insurance contributions in that country.

Exception: cockpit and cabin crew in civilian aviation

If you are a member of a cockpit or cabin crew working in civilian aviation, you will be insured in the country where your home base is. If your home base is in the Netherlands, you will be covered by Dutch social insurance.

Proving your insurance status with the A1/(E)101 certificate

In many countries, a labour inspectorate will check whether you are covered under social insurance legislation. You can prove that you are covered by showing an A1/(E)101 certificate. In some countries, you may not be allowed to start working without the certificate.

More information about the procedures in Belgium and Germany is given below under Bureau for Belgian Affairs (Bureau voor Belgische Zaken) and Bureau for German Affairs (Bureau voor Duitse Zaken).

  • For information about other countries, you can call us on (020) 656 52 77.