International secondment

Are my employee's family members also insured?

Family members continue to be insured as long as they live in the Netherlands

If your employee's partner and children continue to live in the Netherlands, they will remain insured under the AOW pension scheme and other social insurance schemes.  

However, if they move abroad with your employee, their insurance will stop.

If your employee's family members move abroad temporarily with your employee, they will no longer be covered by the Dutch national insurance schemes. If your employee wants his or her family members to remain insured in the Netherlands, he or she can take out voluntary AOW and Anw insurance for them. You can find more information about this under Voluntary Insurance.

If your employee is seconded, he or she will often continue to be insured in the Netherlands and will therefore be able to claim child benefit in the Netherlands.

In some countries, insurance will continue

If your employee's family members start living in Australia, Canada (including Quebec), India, Israel, Macedonia, South Korea or the United States, they will continue to be insured under the AOW and other social insurance schemes. If they start working in that country, however, their insurance will stop.