International secondment

If you wish to extend the secondment

If your employee will be working outside the Netherlands for longer than the period stated on the A1/certificate of coverage you can inform us of the new period online using your TWinternet account. If you do not yet have an account, you can apply for one.

Submitting a new application for an A1/certificate of coverage

If there has been another kind of change, or if you do not have an account, you will have to submit a new application. 

Reporting a change online may necessitate a new application

In some cases, you may have to make a new application. For example, if the statutory secondment period is exceeded, and we have to submit the application to a liaison body in another country. If that happens, we will contact you.