Anw survivor benefit

Your partner worked in the Netherlands

If you do not live in the Netherlands but your late partner used to work in the Netherlands, or if you do live in the Netherlands but your later partner did not, you can receive a partial Anw benefit if you meet the following conditions:

  • you live in a country of the EU (European Union), or the EEA (European Economic Area), or in a country with which the Netherlands has a treaty (an agreement on social security), and
  • your partner was insured under a survivor benefit scheme in the country where you live, or you receive a statutory survivor benefit from a country of the EU, EEA or Switzerland, and
  • you meet the other conditions for entitlement to Anw survivor benefit.

The Anw benefit amount depends on the number of years of work or residence

The amount of your Anw benefit depends on how long your partner worked in the Netherlands. 

Here is an example for if you live in an EU or EEA country:

Your partner worked for a total of 30 years: 15 years in the Netherlands and 15 years in another EU or EEA country. Your Anw benefit will be a15/30th part of the Anw survivor benefit you would have been entitled to if your partner had always worked in the Netherlands.

If you live in another treaty country, your Anw benefit will be calculated in a different way. Contact you SVB office for more information about this.