Anw survivor benefit

Health insurance and your Anw benefit

You may be covered under the Dutch Health Insurance Act (Zvw) even if you do not live in the Netherlands. The College voor zorgverzekeringen (Dutch Health Care Insurance Board, CVZ) will decide whether this applies to you. If you are insured under the Zvw, we have to deduct a Zvw health insurance contribution for non-residents from your Anw benefit. This contribution consists of the following:

  • an Wlz contribution for exceptional medical expenses, which is related to the amount of your Anw benefit.
  • a flat-rate contribution for every co-insured member of the family aged 18 and over.

The contribution depends on your country of residence

The Zvw health insurance contribution for non-residents varies according to country. The contribution rate depends on the average health care rates in your country. The lower the fees charged in your country, the lower the contribution deducted.

Applying for a health care allowance

You may be able to get a health care allowance to help cover the Zvw contributions deducted from your benefit. The amount of health care allowance you get depends on the amount of your total income. You can apply to the Dutch Tax Administration (Belastingdienst) for a health care allowance. They can also give you further information.