AIO supplement

You live in the same house as your tenant or landlord/landlady

If you rent out part of your accommodation to someone, or if you rent accommodation yourself and live in the same house as your landlord or landlady, you may have a 'commercial relationship'.

When are you considered to have a commercial relationship?

You have a commercial relationship if you live in the same house as someone and you meet the following conditions:

  • you have a written tenancy or lodging contract
  • the contract states general market prices, not special low prices amounts for friends or relatives
  • your home is suitable for renting out separate accommodation. 
  • reportable income from rent is reported to the Tax Administration (Belastingdienst)
  • you have documentary evidence of rent/letting, e.g. a contract, bank statements or, if applicable, a tax return

The amount of your AIO supplement will stay the same

If you have a commercial relationship with the person you live in the same house with, you will continue to receive income support at the rate for a single person.

Model agreements