Change your nationality

If you remigrate to your country of birth, you cannot keep your Dutch nationality. You must apply for the nationality of the country where you are going to live.

If you have dual nationality, you can only get a remigration benefit if you give up your Dutch nationality. You can do this at the offices of your local authorities (gemeente) in the Netherlands.

This also has consequences for your children under the age of 16. Ask your local authorities (gemeente) about this.