Reporting changes

You must report changes to us within 4 weeks (6 weeks if you live outside the Netherlands). Read here about how to report a change.

Changing your bank account details

You can change your bank account details in My SVB for example by using DigiD with SMS verification.

Reporting other changes

If you need to report a change, go to 'Login' and choose how you want to log in to My SVB. You can then report your change quickly and securely.

You can log in to My SVB using your DigiD. If you do not have a DigiD, you can apply for one and manage your affairs with us quickly and securely online.

If you plan to leave the Netherlands and do not yet have a DigiD, you should apply for one before you leave, so you can manage your affairs with us quickly and securely online. 

Once you have left the Netherlands, you can only apply for a DigiD if you have Dutch nationality.

You can usually log in to My SVB with a valid EU Login, as long as you have a burgerservicenummer (BSN).

If you do not have a DigiD or cannot apply for one, you can use a paper form. 

  • Fill in the form
  • Print it out 
  • Sign the form
  • Send the form to your SVB office

Are you unsure whether to report a change in your situation?