Applying for a DigiD if you live outside the Netherlands and you either receive or will soon start to receive an AOW pension
If you receive an AOW pension or you have received a letter from us stating that you will soon start to receive an AOW pension, you can apply for a DigiD via My SVB (Dutch language only). Apply for a DigiD now, or read how to do it first.
This is how it works
You do not need Dutch nationality to apply for a DigiD. What will you need?
You will need a Burgerservicenummer ( BSN). We will arrange for this by registering you in the Register of Non-Residents ( RNI). You will then be given a BSN.
- Go to the link 'Apply for a DigiD via My SVB'
- Fill in your first name, surname, date of birth and Burgerservicenummer ( BSN)
- Select your country of residence
- We will check your information immediately
- If your information matches the information in our records, you will automatically be directed to the DigiD website
- Choose your own user name and password
Add SMS verification
If your telephone can receive SMS messages from the Netherlands, you should add SMS verification to your DigiD. This means you can do more with your DigiD, such as change your bank account number.
- Enter your telephone number
- You will now get an SMS
- Enter the SMS code
You will receive a letter with a code to activate your DigiD before you can start using it. The code is valid for 45 days. Make sure you activate your DigiD on time. You can read how to do this on the DigiD website.
When you have activated your DigiD, you can install the DigiD app. Using the app is the easiest way to log in safely.
Using the DigiD app without SMS verification
If you have Dutch nationality and a valid Dutch passport, identity card or driving licence containing a microchip with your details, you can start using the DigiD app after an initial ID check, providing you have a smartphone with NFC reader.