If someone has died

If your partner or a member of your family dies, you are bound to go through a difficult time. You will have to deal with all sorts of things, including contacts with government agencies. We will try to help you where we can.

Where should I report the death?

You do not have to report the death to us if the deceased was resident in the Netherlands. However, it must be reported to the municipal authorities (gemeente). This is often done by the Funeral Director.

If the deceased lived outside the Netherlands, you should report the death to us within 6 weeks, but preferably as soon as possible so that we can stop any further pension or benefit payments.

We will then send a letter to the survivors explaining what happens next.

If you need more help

You will probably have to make arrangements with other organisations besides the SVB. We can make a list for you of everything you still need to do.

Answer the following few questions and see the list (only in Dutch).