Frequently asked questions

Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands have taken a large number of measures to combat the spread of COVID-19. Read the rules that apply to people who live and work across the Dutch-Belgian and Dutch-German borders.

Yes, you can cross the border but only if you can show that you do not have COVID-19. You can travel to another country in the European Union (EU) to work or study as long as you follow the coronavirus rules in your own country and the country where you work or study.

You must tell your employer that you are sick as soon as possible. What you have to do next will depend on your situation. You should follow the healthcare rules of the country where you live.

No, nothing will change for you. If you normally work across the border in the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, working from home will not affect your social insurance. You do not have to take any action.

Normally, you will continue to receive all or part of your wages or salary while you are sick. If not, you can apply for a benefit.

Under European law, you will be a ‘fully unemployed cross-border worker’ and entitled to a benefit from the country where you live.